today was the last class with Michelle and we had LOTS of things and activities to do.
We talked about the health care reform in the US and we tried to identify the problems and the solutions proposed by the Obama administration.
But first, you took a test to try and understand American politics in general (the main ideas of the Republicans and the Democrats).
Here is the quiz to know what party you would be part of:
Then we watched this video and did the exercises below:
Eventually, we tried to sum up what you had understood from the document and you did quite well even if it was really HARD for you. We'll go back over this lesson with me on Friday to write something about the reform in your copy books and we'll work with one last cartoon.
During the second hour, you talked more because the topic was of more interest to you and you had more things to say. Well done (for most of you... because some of you sadly didn't utter a word... :s).
We first watched the live news footage from the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center (as it was broadcast on NBC). You had to react about it and tell us what you felt about the accident.
Then, there was the speech by President Barack Obama who recently announced that the US had captured and killed Osama bin Laden. We only watched the very beginning of this speech.
Michelle interviewed a panel of four students to ask them questions about this document and see how you reacted to it. Here were her questions:
- So what was the President talking about?
- Can you talk about who Osama bin Laden was?
- How old were you in 2001?
- Do you think there was anything else we could have done besides kill him?
- Why do you think it took the US ten years to find bin Laden?
- How did you find out that bin Laden had been killed?
- How did it make you feel when you found out?
- After he died there were a lot of Americans out in the street celebrating, what do you think about that?
- Some people think he’s not really dead because the government hasn’t put a picture out showing it, do you think they should release the pictures?
- What do you think is going to happen with other terrorists? Why do terrorists want to hurt the US so much?
- What do you think the US could do to make them not so afraid of America?
- If you were the president, how would you stop terrorism?
Finally (but we didn't have time to watch it all), we had you watch a video in which kids react to Obama's speech answering the same questions as Michelle. I'm sure you liked it and enjoyed it. You can see the rest of the video here and you can react posting comments to this article!
Good job! See you on Friday for a recap of these two classes.
- download a copy of the quiz here.
- download a copy of the exercises about the health reform video here.